Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this year, WiSER (Women in Science Engineering and Research) and UA-WiSE (University of Alberta – Women in Science and Engineering) are launching a virtual mentorship program to connect women and under-represented individuals in STEM fields with mentors who can help foster professional development and personal discovery.
We welcome all participants: undergraduate students, graduate students, post-doctoral researchers, young professionals and experienced professionals in STEM fields or with an interest in STEM fields.
The structure of the mentors-mentees will be trios consisting of one undergraduate student, one graduate student or early-career professional, and one experienced professional. This structure allows the graduate student or early-career professional to gain experience mentoring an undergraduate student under the supervision of an experienced mentor.
The program starts in September 2020 and continues until March 2021. There will be three mandatory virtual events throughout the year:
- October 15, 2020: Launch event where the trios are introduced to one another
- January 14, 2021: Professional development event, topic TBA
- March 14, 2021: Closing event, topic TBA
All the above virtual events will be held in the evening. After each event, there will be a short online survey that will take no more than 5 minutes to complete.
Each mentorship trio will meet every two months and each meeting for at least 2 hours, i.e. meet at least 6 hours throughout the program duration. In addition, each trio is required to attend the 3 mandatory virtual events (each 2 hours long). In total, the trio will meet at least 12 hours. Electronic certificates will be emailed to mentors and mentees who fulfilled the required hours.
This year we encourage trios to meet virtually to explore career-related events online. Trio matching will be done by WiSER and UA-WiSE based on each mentor’s and mentee’s future goals and areas of expertise. The matching criteria focus on developing different professional skills such as professional conduct, negotiation skills, work-life balance, and more.
- July 15: Application opens for mentors with ≥5 years of experience from academia, industry and government across Canada
- August 21: Application closes for mentors with ≥5 years of experience
- September 1: Application opens for early-career professionals with ≤ 5 years of experience and undergraduate students
- September 30: Application closes for early-career professionals with ≤ 5 years of experience and undergraduate students
How to Apply
- Experienced Mentors with ≥5 years of experience: Complete the questionnaire here by August 21, 2020.
- Early-career Professionals with ≤ 5 yrs of experience and undergraduate students: Applications open on September 1, 2020 and closes September 30, 2020. Please check back for an application link.
Program Benefits for Mentors:
- Networking with other mentors at the three program events
- Connecting with the new generation of professionals across Canada
- Extending your network with early career professionals
- Improving your communication and leadership skills
- Giving back to the STEM community
- *Mentorship hours may count towards Professional Developments Credit (PDC) for APEGA and APCA members (Up to 20 PDC), and Graduate Student Professional Development Hours.
* Please confirm with the professional development hour policy with your organization as WiSER does not hold authority for PD credits.
If you have any questions regarding the WiSER/UA-WiSE Mentorship Program, please contact email@example.com.